Our video players utilise adaptive streaming technology - meaning that our content network will deliver to you the best possible resolution based on your connection.
For good quality streaming you need a strong, consistent connection - and whilst a speedtest might provide an indicative speed, these are not always representative of a consistent connection over a long period of time. Saying that, you can check your speed here.
Watch NRL works best over 4G and Wi-Fi networks. Slower networks or internet connection speeds can reduce the video quality available and cause playback issues. For successful streaming, we recommend a download speed of at least 5 Mbps or higher. If you suspect you are getting less bandwidth than you should please contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
My internet Connection is above 5Mbps, why is my video still having issues?
This can still be caused by an inconsistent internet connection. Make sure you (or others on your network) are not downloading music, movies, or games while you are using Watch NRL as these activities consume your bandwidth.
Despite having a fast Internet connection, internet congestion can slow down the delivery of the stream, make it difficult for you to connect, or cause buffering.
Often the interruption is temporary. If you repeatedly have problems connecting, please notify your ISP. There are often quick fixes they can make when they learn about your issue.
Closed networks, such as the ones found on hotels, motels, cruise ships, hospitals, businesses, etc, can cause connectivity issues with live streaming video if certain ports are blocked or restricted.
Troubleshooting steps to resolve your issue:
1. If you're experiencing any inconsistent behaviour within the Watch NRL app or it becomes unresponsive, this can usually be resolved by restarting the app or deleting and reinstalling the app. If you're unsure of how to do this for your device, please consult your device's documentation (iOS/Andriod)
2. Check you are on a WiFi Network or if possible connect directly to your modem via Ethernet/Wired connection
3. Check your speed is above 5Mbps via a free online tool here
4. Ensure your internet connection is consistent. Avoid activities that will consume your bandwidth such as downloading music, or playing online games when trying to stream
5. Manually adjust your video quality by clicking the Cog icon in the top right corner of your video player as per below
6. Reset your router
7. Ensure you are not using a VPN while streaming. This is not supported by Watch NRL and will cause playback issues
8. Ensure you are not using an HDMI Cable to connect to your TV or a Smart TV Browser as these are currently not a supported way to stream and will cause playback issues. To use Watch NRL on your television please visit What are the supported devices and operating systems?
9. If using a browser, ensure you have the latest browser version installed and they are compatible with Watch NRL. This can be checked here: What are the supported devices and operating systems?
11. Switch browsers to either the latest version of Chrome, Safari or Firefox or download the latest version of the Watch NRL app. Try streaming via an alternative method to what you are currently using when experiencing issues
12. Sign out of Watch NRL, clear your web browser's cache, and relaunch the browser
Safari - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17191
13. If you continue to experience issues, please contact Watch Customer Care and provide your UDID. This can be found as per below, by clicking the Cog icon in the top right corner of your video player and then the Info tab. Please copy the code and supply it to Customer Care in your ticket.